Obsessions of 2008

Friday, January 02, 2009


Babs Walters has one. Time Magazine has several. Yes readers, I am jumping on the bandwagon with a top 10 list of my favorite things, people and places of 2008. Then again, I am not sure if this is a bandwagon, but today I am following the norm, but let me just say this is one list where you won’t see the name of that douche bag swimmer with eight pieces of neck bling.

So how do you make my list? You become something that I can’t stop thinking of, a favorite memory or something that was introduced to me this year that I can’t live without.

Shot of Brandi*’s Top 10 Obsessions of 2008

10. Blogging: I guess you wouldn’t be reading this list if my dream of putting my thoughts in a blog didn’t come true in 2008. While most of you already consider me a kook, I thank you for visiting Shot of Brandi* and not making too much fun of me.

My goals for 2009 are to have someone apply what they learned from Shot of Brandi* into their real life entertaining and to find someone that can help me jazz up the space a little bit.

Who knows what 2009 will bring. Maybe sending my blog link to more readers!? Well many of you might be surprised to know that in 2008, I secured 91 unique readers – that is almost 100 people! I have readers from 10 states and even three visits international visits from Canada (thanks Brian).

9. Santogold: I know that reader Jason has been waiting for me to discuss my obsession for Santogold for months. I was introduced to this gem through Brady’s friends, Low vs.Diamond. They opened up for this “golden girl” in the fall. When I heard the Philly native’s beats, I was hooked. But it wasn’t until I saw her perform live did I become obsessed. She rap/sings on stage in the middle of two “fly girls” that dance like cheerleaders on E. Watch for Santogold to become more mainstream in 2009. Her song, L.E.S. Atristits was #2 on Rolling Stones’ “Songs of the Year,” and I heard one of her tunes in J.Crew last week.

8. The Comeback Kids: Brittney, Saturday Night Live, Stevie Wonder: When I started this post, I was sitting in bed watching VH1’s Top 20 Countdown. They just mentioned that Brittney Spears was the most searched thing on the internet for the fourth consecutive year – that’s more searches for Britt Britt than our president elect. I am so glad that Brittney is producing more songs – the kind you bob around on the dance floor to when you are drunk. I actually think this whole produced comeback is more interesting than her Madonna-like outfits. The power of marketing/public relations is really sometimes amazing.

With Tina Fey’s impressions of the evil Sarah “polar bear killer” Palin, people tuned into SNL and realized it isn’t as bad as they thought. While I’ve been a fan for years, I am glad the ratings are up again. Even without Tina, Kristen Wig is hilarious and you’ve gotta love Seth Meyers because he is a Steelers fan!

Last, but not least, on my comeback list is Stevie Wonder. This summer, I saw Steive (but he didn’t see me) perform at the Taste of Chicago. That day, Brady and I pumped ourselves up by purchasing some SW songs on iTunes. Let me just say, this man had more hits than I could remember. I know it isn’t a comeback just because I saw him in a free concert, but the man preformed at the Democratic National Convention and his “Signed, Sealed, Delivered” became Obama’s campaign theme song. While Stevie’s return might not be as awesome as Neil Diamonds, I encourage you to listen to some of his tunes. They are just fantastic jams.

7. Midway Airport: Sometimes Babs Walters puts people on her fascinating list that may not really be liked, but they are still interesting. This year I had a love/hate relationship with Midway Airport. I couldn’t produce this list without mentioning travel overall. Whether it was personal or business, I took almost 20 trips out of this airport in 2008.

6. Rockstars: From Rock Band to Guitar Hero to Brady’s friends in a band that keep coming to town, this year I’m surrounded by Rockstars. I am even joining in on the fun with my very own band – wii Guitar Hero band that is. I think the JagOffs are going to rock out tonight with me on my new Les Paul.

5. Games, Games, Games: I said it before and I will say it again. Because of the state of our economy, more than ever people are partying at home more. Sometimes these gatherings can be a little boring, so what can spice up a party more than a board game. From Outburst, to Scatagories to Pictionary, everyone loves a good game. In 2008, I was introduced to Celebrity by reader Brian – such a great game (although I need some practice). I hope games are just as big in 2009.

4. Chicago: “The Second City” came alive in 2008 for many good, and a few bad, reasons. The good included a hometown senator became president, the city is still in the running for the 2016 Olympics, Lollapoloza brought in a number of great acts, the Cubs made a playoff run and “The Dark Knight” showed off the city’s beauty. On the flip side, there have been a record number of homicides, we have some crooked politicians and the craziest weather. But still, after 4 years and one day living in the Windy City, I am still obsessed.

3. Google Reader: If you don’t have a Google Reader account, I suggest that you resolve to create one in 2009. In a nutshell, you set up a Google account and paste in links to blogs that you wish you read. You can even categorize them. Then each day or so, you can go to this one site and read through all of the postings from the blogs you subscribe to. My list ranges from baking/cooking blogs, to gossip sites (Best Week Ever!) to home decorating.

2. Cupcakes: It’s funny that I wrote this post before December 17th. Cupcakes made it so high up on my list for a few reasons. First of all, I love them. Second, I rang in 2008 with some cupcakes, a batch was delivered to my Las Vegas hotel for my birthday and a new cupcakery opened in my neighborhood. For my 27th birthday, the family purchased me a Kitchen Aid mixer so that I could bake up my own cakes (which they are fab!). But, my obsession with cupcakes hit a new high in December when Brady snuck an engagement ring into a six pack (of cupcakes sillies, but I would have been just as happy with some Bud Light).

1. Obama: The high I experienced on election night from watching a man accepting the 44th presidency of America lasted for several days, but I have my fingers crossed that hope has been restored for the next few years. With all of the problems that we face in 2009, I personally have some faith that B. Obama can turn things around. He’s already surrounded himself with people who seem to know what they are doing. Cheers to 2009!


(photo sources: blogger.com, knowxone.wordpress.com, worldofbritney.com, lemont.il.us, usatourists.com, swirlz, abc.go.com)