Wind, Rain, Snow, Sleet and Seiche?

Thursday, July 03, 2008

Brady told me that I need to start breaking news on my blog, so he is my first attempt at doing so. (I think he is worried about my readership of 3).

Reader Amy said she loved Chicago, but she can't put up with the weather.

Well yesterday, I've had a first in the weather category during my three and a half years here.

Chicago almost had a Seiche. No, I didn't make this word up. We has a Seiche warning.

What is a Seiche? According to Wikipedia....

A seiche (pronounced /seɪʃ/, or approximately saysh) is a standing wave in an enclosed or partially enclosed body of water. Seiches and seiche-related phenomena have been observed on lakes, reservoirs, bays and seas. The key requirement for formation of a seiche is that the body of water be at least partially bounded, allowing natural phenomena to form a standing wave.

So yes, we were almost hit by a lake tidal wave. Never fear - the beaches are back open and I plan on planting myself in the sand tomorrow (see "my" beach above). I hope to get a spot by the new palm trees they planted!

Cheers to a seiche free 4th!