Sweet Tweet

Thursday, January 21, 2010



Last night I attended my first ever “Tweet Up.” For those not down with the lingo, it’s basically a social for people on Twitter where you get together and meet in the real world. I went on behalf of the client and stood in the corner and texted on my Blackberry. I’m a loser, I know. It was a very long day and to not bore you with details, I will just say that I woke up in a bed in NYC and still made it to this event. Okay, I wasn’t a total unapproachable b*tch. I did meet one girl that came up and asked “What’s your Twitter handle?” Translation: What is your Twitter name (for your AIM users, your “screen name”).

I digress.

At the Tweet Up, Caipirinhas were on special for $5, so I decided to test one out.

According to Wikipedia, a Caipirinha is Brazil’s national cocktail made with cachaca, sugar and limes. Cachaca is the most popular spirit in Brazil and is made from fermented sugarcane juice. It’s verrrry sugary. In fact, up to six grams per liter of sugar may be added. Cachaca is similar to rum, because both spirits are made from sugarcane, but rum differs because it includes molasses.

The taste of the drink is similar to a mojito – but sweeter. It’s one of those drinks that’s good, but you can only have 1-2 max.

The interesting thing about the name of the cocktail – Caipirinha – is that it is a version of the word “caipira” which refers to someone from the countryside or the American equivalent of a “hillbilly”


Here is a Caipirinha recipe from Caipirinha Cocktail.

Ingredients:
- 1 lime
- 2 tablespoons of white granulated sugar
- 2 ounces of Cachaca (Brazilian rum distilled from sugar cane juice)
- Crushed Ice


Cut the lime into pieces (eight pieces is good). Muddle the lime and sugar together in the bottom of a glass (you could also do this in a cocktail shaker). Add the Cachaca. Add one cup of crushed ice. Cover the drink and give it a good shake. Garnish the caipirinha with a lime wedge.


How to serve:A caipirinha cocktail is best served in a wide, short glass with a straw.





(Source: Wikipedia)